From Name:
From Email:
To Name:
To Email:

Optional Message:

Charter Bus Operators must now be registered with IRP for out of province travel or purchase trip permits

from OMCA

As of Jan. 1, 2016, extra-provincial travel by charter bus is no longer allowed using the carrier's home jurisdiction registration plate. Charter buses must now be registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP) and carry an IRP cab-card and display pro-rate plates or purchase trip permits for each province or state of travel.

IRP is a vehicle registration agreement between all U.S. states (including District of Columbia) and all provinces of Canada. It provides for payment of apportionable vehicle registration fees on the basis of total distance travelled in each province or state, similar in principle to the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA).

For decades, charter bus operators have had the option of registering in IRP or opting to use the "charter bus exemption" that allowed charter buses to travel to or through most U.S. states and all provinces of Canada (except B.C.) using their home registration plates. Scheduled line run operators didn't have an option and had to register line run buses under IRP. Charter coach operators who have not yet done so should contact their provincial vehicle registration office to initiate the IRP application procedure. more

Powered by MultiBriefs
7701 Las Colinas Blvd., Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063