From Name:
From Email:
To Name:
To Email:

Optional Message:


Battery retention may still pose serious gastric risk in kids

from MedPage Today

Children who ingested small, coin-shaped batteries, used to power watches or hearing aids, still experienced gastric injury even if they were asymptomatic, researchers said recently at the annual Digestive Disease Week. Of 68 endoscopic removals for button battery ingestion, 60% showed evidence of mucosal damage, including erosion, ulcerations, some cases of necrosis, and one case of gastric perforation, reported Racha Khalaf, MD, of the Children's Hospital Colorado in St. Petersburg, Florida, and colleagues. Mucosal injury was not associated with the presentation of symptoms, or the duration of the battery retention, suggesting that even patients who present without symptoms could be at risk, and that prompt removal of the foreign body may be necessary. more


Powered by MultiBriefs
7701 Las Colinas Blvd., Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063