This message was sent to ##Email##
KAFP thanks you! We have gotten off to a fantastic start to filling all of the Family Doctor of the Day slots. We have 12 left for the session. If you are an active member or resident with a Kansas license, you are eligible to serve as the Family Doctor of the Day (FDOD) at the Statehouse during the legislative session. Please sign up and say yes to serving as Family Doctor of the Day at the Statehouse.
Upcoming open dates include:
March 12, 13, 19, 20
April 1, 5
May 1, 6, 7, 8, 9
Your time is appreciated!
Go to the FDOD web page for a complete calendar listing with instructions and to sign-up or contact Michelle Corkins at 316.721.9005.
FDOD volunteers report to the Capitol Building in Topeka at 9:00 a.m. and stay until 3:00 p.m. taking care of legislators, staff and sometimes even visitors who need medical attention.
The Nominating Committee is working on nominations for directors in districts 1, 3, 5, 7 and faculty directors for the Kansas City and Wichita/Salina campuses. The individuals who currently hold these positions are eligible for re-election. The Nominating Committee wants to know if you are interested in being a candidate. If you are interested in serving in one of the positions or would like additional information, please contact Carolyn Gaughan email@example.com by Monday, February 18.
These positions are for a 2-year term to serve as a member of the Board of Directors. The representative of each district or campus must live or work in that district or be a faculty member at that campus.
- District 1 Director: represents members in Johnson and Wyandotte counties
- District 3 Director: represents members in Sedgwick county
- District 5 Director: represents members in Chase, Clay, Cloud, Dickinson, Ellsworth, Geary, Harvey, Jewell, Lincoln, Marion, McPherson, Mitchell, Morris, Ottawa, Republic, Riley, Saline, and Washington counties
- District 7 Director: represents members in Clark, Finney, Ford, Grant, Gray, Greeley, Hamilton, Haskell, Hodgeman, Kearny, Lane, Meade, Morton, Ness, Scott, Seward, Stanton, Stevens, and Wichita counties
- Faculty Director, Kansas City Campus: represents faculty members at the KU School of Medicine-Kansas City campus
- Faculty Director, Wichita Campus: represents faculty members at the KU School of Medicine-Wichita and KU School of Medicine-Salina campuses
Calling all residents and students! Don’t miss this opportunity to present a poster at the KAFP Annual Meeting! KAFP invites all family medicine residents and students to submit an abstract for research, a case study or a literature review for the 2019 Poster Presentation. The due date for receipt of abstracts is March 1. The Poster Presentation will be at the KAFP Annual Meeting, Saturday, June 8, 2019 at the Wichita Marriott Hotel, Wichita, Kansas.
KAFP-Foundation will provide a $100 participation stipend for each poster presentation. And for presenters coming from more than 60 miles away we will also provide a room for one night in the conference hotel.
To be considered, your completed abstracts must be received by March 1, 2019. Contact Michelle Corkins or call 316-721-9005 with questions.
The University of Kansas School of Medicine – Wichita (KUSM- Wichita) seeks family physician faculty for medical student and residency education.
To apply online:
- An average of 25% of KUSM – Wichita medical students enter family medicine residency positions each year.
- Top 10 ranking in GME outcomes for primary care, rural practice and HPSA practice (Academic Medicine 2013;88:1267–1280).
- Outstanding medical students, residents and faculty colleagues.
- KUSM-Wichita is recognized for outstanding clinical teaching.
- New medical school curriculum emphasizes small group problem-based learning and early clinical experiences.
- Campus expansion offers a wide variety of teaching opportunities.
- Excellent salary and benefit package.
For more information, contact Rick Kellerman MD, Professor and Chair, Department of Family and Community Medicine, KUSM-Wichita, firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-293-2607, 1010 North Kansas, Wichita, KS, 67214.
KU Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
Soliciting authors for FP Essentials™, a clinical monograph that is one of the AAFP's largest educational activities. This is an opportunity to contribute to an important continuing medical education (CME) and Board Review publication with thousands of subscribers.
Manuscripts must be evidence based and case oriented. Medical editors will review all proposals, select one or more for further consideration, and contact a prospective author before the final selection. Authors are awarded a $4,000 honorarium to prepare a manuscript and see it through to publication.
FP Essentials is currently seeking authors for these topics:
Find out more details by visiting the AAFP website.
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Shoulder Disorders
- Autoimmune Disorders
Kansas Head Start Assoc
Three new Kansas Head Start Association (KHSA) Parent Health Literacy training classes are being offered for this spring. Attendees will receive the resources needed to teach parents how to use the “What To Do When Your Child Gets Sick” book using effective, evidence based teaching methods. The Parent Health Literacy project partners with agencies, medical providers, schools and human services organizations who serve families with young children to provide this important health literacy resource. This training is appropriate for any staff who work directly with parents/patients, supervisors and program directors.
Download the flyers and share with your staff:
Junction City, Tuesday, April 30
Great Bend, Wednesday, May 1
Dodge City, Thursday, May 2
The training is free. 3 CEUs are available for $15.
Please see the brochure and the KHSA website for further information about the Parent Health Literacy Project.
7701 Las Colinas Ridge, Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063