This message contains images. If you don't see images, click here to view.
Click here to advertise in this news brief.

  Mobile version   RSS   Subscribe   Unsubscribe    Like IEC's Facebook page June. 15, 2011
Visit the IEC website for the most recent updates!

CLICK HERE for the latest Government Affairs news impacting our industry
CLICK HERE for the latest IEC News

June. 15, 2011
 
IEC's Electrical Matters
 
 

Call for nominations: IEC National Awards
IEC National    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail
article
Do you feel a particular member, chapter or project deserves some extra attention for going above and beyond? If so, then nominate them for an IEC National Award. Awards are handed out in various categories so weather you are a contractor member who made outstanding contributions to IEC, a chapter executive director who exhibits outstanding leadership, or a member who demonstrated incredible skill and innovation in a project, there is an award category for you. To see a full listing of award categories and nomination criteria, download the Awards Brochure. Nominations must be submitted by Aug. 8, 2011. More



House approves project labor amendment to VA bill by one vote
The Hill    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
The House narrowly approved an amendment to the Military Construction/Veterans Affairs appropriations bill that will make it easier for the VA to enter into project labor agreements. Members approved the language by a one vote margin — 204-203. More

POLARIS GREY™: DESIGNED FOR MOTORS

Polaris Grey™ eliminates splaying and cutting of fine-stranded wire. and can connect, disconnect, and reconnect with ease. A reliable compression connection is made via the integral sleeve, crimping wire strands to a tight bundle as the set-screw is tightened. Cable trays, troughs, raceways, ducts & junction boxes - protect your connection with Polaris Grey.
more


Chart of the week: Are small business borrowing needs being met?
Small Business Trends    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
The National Federation of Independent Business's survey of its members has shown an improvement in the satisfaction of small businesses' need for credit in recent months. In April, the difference between the percent of small business owners who reported that their borrowing needs had been met over the previous three months less the share who reported that their credit needs had not been met hit 20, which is better than the difference of 16 seen last November. More

Supreme Court reinstates collective bargaining law
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
Acting with unusual speed, the state Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered the reinstatement of Gov. Scott Walker's controversial plan to end most collective bargaining for tens of thousands of public workers. More



US seeks switchgear retrofill bids for 19.5-MW Headgate Rock
PennWell    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail
article
The Bureau of Reclamation seeks bids to retrofill low-voltage station service switchgear at the Bureau of Indian Affairs' 19.5-MW Headgate Rock Dam in Arizona. Bids are due June 30. Reclamation previously expected to issue a solicitation in late April with bids to be due in May. In March, it invited firms to submit statements of capability to perform a retrofill, replacing existing breakers, operating controls and other components, specially designed so that they fit within existing racks. The agency also collected information last year from vendors on proposed rehabilitation of the 480-volt switchgear. More

Lutron Skylark® Contour Dimmable CFL.LED Dimmer

The Skylark Contour C•L dimmer features advanced dimming circuitry that is designed for compatibility with most dimmable CFL and LED bulbs. The Skylark Contour C•L dimmer also provides full-range dimming for halogen and incandescent bulbs, ensuring today's dimmer is compatible with tomorrow's light sources. Sold exclusively at The Home Depot.
more


GOP ally for Senator Sanders's 10 million solar roofs bill
Reuters    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
With members of Congress up to their armpits in acrimony on Capitol Hill, Sen. Bernie Sanders figures bipartisanship isn't enough to advance ideas anymore. So he is trying a broadened approach to lift legislators out of that muddled morass: Tripartisanship. More

Technology that helps deliver valuable service.
You’re always on the go, whether you’re at a service site, coordinating crews, or between job locations. Sprint offers rugged devices and powerful mobile workforce applications for GPS, text messaging, Nextel Direct Connect®, Mobile Broadband and much more.

Switch to any Sprint smartphone and receive a $125 service credit. Hurry! Offer ends June 23rd. Save Now (restrictions apply)


Selecting, sizing transformers for commercial buildings
Consulting-Specifying Engineer    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail
article
Transformers, along with other power distribution apparatus, remain a fundamental component in electrical systems distribution for commercial buildings. This article presents several useful design concepts for selecting and sizing transformers in the design of electrical systems for commercial buildings. Transformers change voltage levels to supply electrical loads with the voltages they require. They supply the required incoming electrical service to the buildings. Transformer primary and secondary voltages can be 2,400; 4,160; 7,200; 12,470; and 13,200 for 15-kV Class, and 120, 208, 240, 277 and 480 for 600-V Class. More

P&S Toggle Dimmer with Dimming Wheel

P&S Toggle Dimmers allow users to preset lighting levels. When switched off or a power failure occurs, lights automatically return to most recent adjusted level.
MORE


Repeal withholding of small business payments
Politico    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
Imagine you own a business that puts a new roof on the local high school. After you do the work, the school pays only 97 percent of what it owes you. Why? On the off chance you may not pay your federal taxes. That is what a section of the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005 does. It requires federal, state and local governments to withhold 3 percent from all payments for goods and services made to small businesses. More
 
Today's Sponsors









 
IEC's Electrical Matters
Colby Horton, Vice President of Publishing, 469.420.2601   Download media kit
John Medellin, Content Editor, 469.420.2628   Contribute news
This edition of IEC's Electrical Matters was sent to ##Email##. To unsubscribe, click here. Did someone forward this edition to you? Subscribe here -- it's free!
Recent issues
June 8, 2011
June 1, 2011
May 25, 2011
May 19, 2011



7701 Las Colinas Ridge, Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063