|This message contains images. If you don't see images, click here to view.|
Advertise in this news brief.
Take your game development career to new levels with our multidisciplinary Master's program.
Under 3 Weeks Remain to vote in the 2015 IGDA Board of Directors Election
Voting is currently underway for the 2015 IGDA Board of Directors election and just under three weeks remain to get your vote in. If you are voting eligible member, you should have received voting information to the email address on your IGDA account.
This year, there are four candidates running for two open seats. Learn more about them below:
For more information, visit http://www.igda.org/elections2015. If you believe you are a voting eligible member and have not received your voting credentials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gabriel Gutierrez, Founder, Nascent Games, LLC, & Founder, IGDA Sacramento Chapter
- Dr. Farhad Javidi, Founder/CEO, Simbryo Corporation, & Chair, IGDA Charlotte
- Adam McClard, CEO, Origo Games
- Trent Oster, Co-founder, Bioware
| Share this article:
Global Game Jam is This Weekend!
Global Game Jam is 23-25 January 2015. #WhereWillYouJam?
Join the world’s largest game jam in one of the hundreds of locations in 70 countries! Find a location near you and sign up to participate.
Event Highlight: Early Registration Ends Today!
GDC, the premier professionals-only game industry event, returns to San Francisco 2-6 March 2015 for five days of educational and inspirational sessions spanning targeted tracks, including Design, Programming, Production, Visual Arts, Audio and Business, Marketing & Management. Don’t miss:
Beyond industry-defining talks, game professionals can stay on top of the latest technologies and tools with:
- Over 500 sessions by industry leaders, including:
- Why Indies Need to Think Backwards to Move Forward
- Get Ready for Launch: How AAA Titles Do It
- Classic Game Postmortem: Yars' Revenge
- Classic Game Postmortem: Star Control
This opportunity provides an amazingly well-rounded experience for anyone involved in or exploring the game industry.
- More than 300 exhibitors and sponsors on the vibrant Expo Floor
- Playable games at GDC Play and the IGF Pavilion
- A week of exciting GDC networking events and parties
- The 17th annual Independent Games Festival and 15th annual Game Developers Choice Awards
IGDA members can save US$75 on their GDC 2015 All Access Pass or Main Conference registration. Click here to log in and get your discount code.
The IGDA discount code cannot be combined with other discount promotions, including group discounts, alumni rates, exhibitor discounts, other special discount offers or previously purchased or registered passes. All discount codes are subject to review and are limited to one discount per registration.
The IGDA is Preparing for GDC 2015
Each year, the IGDA hosts several events during GDC week, all of which require sponsorship support to become a reality. Support opportunities are available at many different levels (PDF) including in-kind donations for Scholars, drawings, and more. Please consider giving back and supporting your community.
Watch this mailer and www.igda.org/GDC2015 for details!
IGDA's GDC Scholars for 2015 Named
Please welcome the 2015 Game Developers Conference Scholars! As always, it is difficult for our judges to choose only 18 students out of the hundreds of applications we receive every year. The Scholarship recipients are:
In addition, this year's Eric Dybsand Memorial AI Scholar (awarded by the IGDA Foundation) is John Edward Armstrong (University of Bergen, Norway)!
- Renee Blair (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)
- Meagan Budgell (Toronto Film School at RCC Institute of Technology, Canada)
- David Churchill (University of Alberta, Canada)
- James Cox (University of Southern California, USA)
- Shalane Dixon (University of Utah, USA)
- Luis Wong (ENJMIN, France)
- JenJen Francis (University of Utah, USA)
- Nicholas Heindl (University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA)
- Linda Huunonen (Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland)
- Ryan Leslie (Champlain College, USA)
- Stacey Mason (UC Santa Cruz, USA)
- Naeem Moosajee (University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Canada)
- Amanda Ochsner (University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA)
- Rhys Romero (Austin Community College, USA)
- Raine Scott (SUNY — Buffalo State, USA)
- Simon Wallner (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)
- Brady Welch (Arizona State University, USA)
Congratulations all! Each winner will receive an all access pass courtesy of UBM, studio tours, an industry mentor, and the chance to sit in on exclusive Q&A sessions with industry legends. This year, thanks to the IGDA Foundation's partnership with the Intel Diversity Initiative, our scholars will also have a travel stipend to help them offset the cost of this once in a lifetime experience.
If you were unable to take advantage of this opportunity or are interested in our IGDA scholarships, please stay tuned — We will be announcing the opening of applications to E3 by end of January. Check out http://scholars.igda.org for the latest news on IGDA Scholars.
With the World’s Largest Translation Services Provider
• Functional & Localization Testing
• Game Localization
• Audio Production
• Compliance & Compatibility Testing
• Community Management & Moderation
- London Mobile Games Week (19-23 January, London, UK)
- MGF London (20-21 January, London, UK): IGDA Members save 20%
- Global Game Jam (23-25 January, Worldwide)
- GameDevHacker Conference (28 January, NYC, US): IGDA Members save 20%
- D.I.C.E. Summit (3-5 February, Las Vegas, US): IGDA Members:
contact Niyosha Arthur for discount details
- Casual Connect Europe (4-6 February, Amsterdam, NL)
- Mobile Growth Summit (5-6 February, San Francisco, US):
IGDA Members save $400
- Game Developers Conference (2-6 March, San Francisco, US):
IGDA Members save $75
- IGDA Game User Research Summit (2 March, San Mateo (SF), US)
- Mena Games Conference & Exhibition (26-27 March, Beirut, LB)
- Games for Change Festival (21-23 April, NYC, US): IGDA Members save 20%
- Quo Vadis (21-23 April, Berlin, DE)
- Apps World Germany 2015 (22-23 April, Berlin, DE): IGDA Members save 15%
Click here for discount information (requires log in).
To view all upcoming IGDA and IGDA Partner events, click here.
Webinar Wednesday on 28 January features One-on-One Interview with Gordon Walton
Join host Keith Fuller as he conducts a one-on-one interview with Gordon Walton. They will discuss Walton’s history leading MMO teams as well as the background leading up to his recently announced project, Crowfall. Register now!
The IGDA hosts weekly webinars surrounding topics in the game industry. Watch www.igda.org/webinars for more information on sessions and to register. Recordings of past webinars can be found here.
Big rewards when you bring your game apps to Roku using Marmalade.
Marmalade, the top-rated, cross-platform app development tool, in collaboration with Roku, are running an offer for developers and game makers who want to deploy their games to the leading streaming platform for the TV – Roku. Makers of innovative and engaging games who want to reach millions of TV units can take part without needing to rewrite their apps – just by optimising and deploying to Roku 3, Roku 2 and the Roku Streaming Stick using Marmalade. If successful developers will receive a package of bonuses including a 6 month Marmalade Plus license, Roku 3 player and $100 Amazon voucher.
Event Highlight: Mobile Growth Summit — IGDA Members save $400
Mobile UA Fellowship (now Mobile Growth Fellowship) is happy to announce its first conference, The Mobile Growth Summit. This exclusive 2-Day event will be held at Parc 55 in San Francisco on 5-6 February 2015.
Sign-up now, and learn more about Mobile Monetization and Acquisition Strategies from companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google, Microsoft, Walmart, Pandora, Zynga, EA, Tango, Shazam, PicsArt, Glu, Runtastic, Storm8, SEGA, GoLauncher, GSN, Wooga, Natural Motion, FunPlus, Reliance Media…and many more!
IGDA Members: Register by 30 January with IGDA’s promo code to get $400 off the Gold Pass! Click here for discount information (requires log in).
Miss an issue of IGDA Insider? Click here to visit the Insider archive page.
Intel initiative leads to big goal: Doubling of women in game development
The number of women working in the game industry will double by 2025, if the International Game Developers Association has its way. It's not a new desire by the association, a group which represents game developers from around the world, but the likelihood of that goal happening is now more possible than it ever was before. That thanks not to the game industry's massive companies like Microsoft, or Sony or Nintendo or even, completely, the International Game Developers Association itself. No, the possibility of a spike in game developer diversity doesn't come from within the game industry, but rather from Intel and, in part, its confused run-in with a confused movement.
The powerful woman behind Intel's new $300 million diversity initiative
Intel president Renée James is building a pipeline of female and other groups of underrepresented engineers and computer scientists.
Valve releases update to bring Steam Broadcasting to everyone
Valve has released a new update for its Steam client that finally makes Steam Broadcasting available to all users. The game streaming feature was added in to a beta Steam client back in December. Steam Broadcasting is a new feature that lets users live stream content to the Steam community.
The free-to-play opportunity in VR
If a developer is in the privileged position to have investment allowing them to run in the red for a few years, focusing on free-to-play games is an interesting strategic bet.
Microsoft's Windows 10 event: What the new OS means for consumers and gamers
Microsoft executives gathered Jan. 21 at the company's headquarters in Redmond, Washington, ready to show off "the next chapter" of Windows 10.
Colby Horton, Vice President of Publishing, MultiView 469.420.2601
Download media kit
Ross Lancaster, Senior Content Editor, MultiView, 469.420.2697
Alexander Bevier, Editor, IGDA
Tristin Hightower, Editor, IGDA
Be sure to add us to your address book or safe sender list so our emails get to your inbox. Learn how.
This edition of the IGDA Insider was sent to ##Email##. To unsubscribe, click here. Did someone forward this edition to you? Subscribe here -- it's free!
7701 Las Colinas Ridge, Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063