This message contains images. If you don't see images, click here to view.
Click here to advertise in this news brief.

  Mobile version   RSS   Subscribe   Unsubscribe
Home   Advocacy    Industry Initiatives     Frequency Coordination   Events   Membership    Dec. 15, 2011
 
 
 


American Tower to buy wireless tower sites in Mexico
The Boston Globe 12/12/11    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
American Tower Corp., a Boston-based owner and operator of broadcast and wireless communications sites, said it has agreed to buy up to about 2,500 towers from Telefónica's Mexican subsidiary, Pegaso PCS, S.A. de C.V., for $500 million, excluding value added tax. The acquisition, which is subject to regulatory approval, would nearly double the company's portfolio in Mexico, James Taiclet, chairman, president, and chief executive of American Tower, said in a press release. The company added that it expects to acquire a substantial majority of the towers during the fourth quarter. More

Dish Network seeks to partner with T-Mobile USA if AT&T acquisition fails
Bloomberg 12/12/11 3:53 p.m. CST    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
Dish Network Corp. (DISH), the second largest U.S. satellite-TV provider, may partner with T-Mobile USA if AT&T Inc.'s takeover bid fails, Chief Executive Officer Joseph Clayton said in an interview.  Dish, which acquired wireless spectrum earlier this year as part of deals for bankrupt DBSD North America Inc. and Terrestar Networks Inc., could merge the spectrum assets with T-Mobile or another wireless company to create a strengthened competitor to AT&T and Verizon Wireless, said Clayton. T-Mobile needs additional spectrum to offer higher-speed wireless service for smartphones such as Apple Inc.'s iPhone. More



Clearwire closing in on the magic LTE investment number
Gigaom 12/12/11 4:38 p.m. PST    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
Clearwire's financial announcement Monday morning seemed innocuous enough: The underwriters of its $350 million stock offering are exercising an option to purchase another $52.5 million in shares. That's hardly big money in the world of telecom finance, but what the release doesn't tell you is that with the option, the value of Clearwire's public offering now breaks the $400 million mark. And $400 million is the magic equity number that triggers a big investment by Sprint and marks the beginning of Clearwire's LTE rollout.
More

AT&T's 4G LTE spotted in Los Angeles
CNET 12/10/11 10:01 p.m. PST    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
More than a day after it surfaced in San Francisco, AT&T's 4G LTE network now seems to be available in the Los Angeles area, as well. CNET editor Jessica Dolcourt noticed the 4G LTE icon on her phone in the City of Angels just about an hour ago. A quick speed test with the Speedtest.net app showed that she got download speeds of around 15Mbps and upload speeds of some 7Mbps. More

AM Coordination

• AM Broadcast Measurements(pre and post)
• Proximity Measurements
• MiniNec Modeling
• Detune Skirt Manufacturing and Repair (Any Manufacturer)
• Intermodulation Studies

Contact Butch McBride at 304-264-5941 or amcoordination@aol.com for more information.


Tablet users increasingly favor Wi-Fi over cellular connections
FierceWireless 12/12/11 10:45 a.m. EST    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
U.S. tablet users are selecting Wi-Fi connectivity over a cellular data connection even more than they were six months ago, according to a new report from the NPD Group. The findings underscore wireless carriers' inability so far to entice large numbers of tablet customers to their data plans. According to a new NPD report by the research firm's Connected Intelligence unit, 65 percent of U.S. tablet buyers only connect via Wi-Fi, up from 60 percent in April. Interestingly, the firm in April reported that 5 percent of users planned to upgrade their Wi-Fi connections with cellular connections, but those plans appear to have been scrapped during the intervening six months. More

NTSB recommends full ban on use of cell phones while driving
CNN 12/14/11 7:01 a.m. EST    Share    Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article
A federal safety board called Tuesday for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving. The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the National Transportation Safety Board, which in the past 10 years has increasingly sought to limit the use of portable electronic devices -- recommending bans for novice drivers, school bus drivers and commercial truckers. Tuesday's recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road. More
 
 

PCIA's NewsWeekly
Colby Horton, Vice President of Publishing, 469.420.2601   Download media kit
Jennifer Maddox, Senior Content Editor, 469.420.2613   Contribute news
This edition of PCIA's NewsWeekly was sent to ##Email##. To unsubscribe, click here. Did someone forward this edition to you? This is a PCIA member service. If you are a PCIA member, subscribe here -- it's free!
Recent issues



7701 Las Colinas Ridge., Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063