|Top 10 most read stories of 2013
from Chain Store Age
- Macy's to close 6 locations, open 9 others
Macy's announced what it described as "normal-course adjustments" to its portfolio of Macy's and Bloomingdale's stores.
- Dick's to open 40 stores in 2013; debut Field & Stream format
Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. forecasted a full-year profit for the current fiscal year that was less than expected, and also revealed it will debut a new retail concept in fiscal 2013 under the Field & Stream banner.
- Wal-Mart in line to open 500 Neighborhood Market stores by fiscal 2016
Wal-Mart will open as many as 115 small-format stores this year, according to Bill Simon, president and CEO of Wal-Mart U.S.
- Toys 'R' Us announces 2013 global expansion plans; 100-plus stores on tap
Toys "R" Us unveiled its global growth for 2013, with the planned opening of more than 100 stores, including new locations, the relocation and conversion of 14 stores to its side-by-side format, and 22 new licensed stores.
- Five Below to open 60 stores in 2013 and expand into Texas
Teen and tween retailer Five Below will open 60 stores this year, including its first-ever locations in Texas.
The retailer said it will open four to five stores in Austin, Texas, and 10 to 12 stores in Dallas by late summer, with the potential for more.
- RadioShack debuts new concept store in Manhattan
RadioShack Corp. unveiled its new concept store, opening a location on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. The store showcases an updated brand logo and a number of features that will be part of a new generation of RadioShack stores.
- Sneak Peak: J.C. Penney's Joe Fresh shop
J.C. Penney set a launch date for the debut of its Joe Fresh in-store shop concept. The Joe Fresh collection will focus on modern basics for women, with everything priced under $70, according to J.C. Penney.
- Retail RoadTrip: Fall NYC
Welcome to Chain Store Age's Retail RoadTrip, a semi-regular update on cool new stores around the country. For this first outing, here's a look at six stores creating buzz in the Big Apple.
- Dunkin' Donuts to open 330 to 360 stores in 2013; expand into California
Dunkin' Donuts announced that in 2013 it plans to open 330 to 360 net new restaurants in the United States with growth coming from both new and existing markets, for an increase of 4.5 to 5 percent.
- Dollar General to open 635 stores in 2013
Dollar General Corp. will open 635 new stores in 2013, creating some 6,000 jobs. The chain will also relocate 550 stores this year.
7701 Las Colinas Blvd., Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063