Call for hospitals to learn from 'freakish' kidney transplant deaths
from The Guardian
Family members of two transplant patients who died after being given donor kidneys infected with parasitic worms have urged the implementation of a coroner's recommendations. Robert Stuart, 67, and Darren Hughes, 42, died days apart after each being given a renal organ from the same alcoholic who died of suspected meningitis. Tests on their bodies later uncovered the presence of an extremely rare parasite usually found in horses. There have only ever been five cases in humans all of which have proved fatal.
7701 Las Colinas Blvd., Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063