An unexpected microbe is killing organ transplant patients
A 44-year-old man appeared to be recovering nicely after a double lung transplant at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, Illinois. A week after the surgery, however, the patient, whose own lungs had been ruined by the inflammatory disease pulmonary sarcoidosis, grew confused and then became delirious. Although a brain scan found nothing wrong, tests showed that the amount of ammonia in his blood had spiked — and continued to rise even after dialysis to remove the toxin. Forty days after his surgery, he died.
Now, a new study implicates bacteria that normally live in the urinary tract as the cause of the man's fatal illness and the deaths of other lung transplant patients. The work suggests a way to treat a rare but deadly complication of organ transplantation and cancer treatment.
7701 Las Colinas Blvd., Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063