|Susan G. Komen® Breast Cancer Challenge Now Open
from Susan G. Komen® Breast Cancer Challenge presented by The Obesity Society: Obesity and Cancer Section
Junior investigators are invited to submit a one-page letter of intent (LOI) in response to the Susan G. Komen® Breast Cancer Challenge. Komen has set a Bold Goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50 percent in the U.S. by 2026. Find more about Komen’s Bold Goal: https://ww5.komen.org/ourboldgoal/.
Specifically, the research described in the LOI should focus on answering one of the following questions relevant to Komen's Bold Goal:
Applications from across the translational continuum are invited, from genes to geography.
- Is the development of specific subtypes of breast cancer associated with obesity? What factors contribute to patients with obesity having an elevated risk of recurrence or developing metastatic breast cancer?
- How does obesity influence the efficacy of breast cancer treatments?
- Does obesity contribute to breast cancer disparities? Are patients with obesity of a specific race or ethnicity at a higher risk of having poor clinical outcomes?
- Do diet and/or exercise interventions reduce the risk of recurrence alone or is it the associated weight loss that reduces the risk of having a recurrence or developing metastatic breast cancer? What are the mechanisms associated with weight, diet, and/or exercise that influence the onset of breast cancer recurrence?
Junior investigators are defined broadly as:
Submission and Selection
- Completed doctoral level training less than 8 years ago.
- Holds a position of post-doc, fellow, or assistant professor at an academic institution.
- No citizenship requirement (international applicants welcome).
The LOI is due October 4, 2019 by noon EST, and can be submitted to Shameeka Green at email@example.com.
A panel of experts from basic, clinical, and population sciences, along with a breast cancer research advocate, will review the LOIs and choose 5 semi-finalists. All semi-finalists must attend The Obesity Society’s (TOS) Obesity and Cancer Section meeting at the 2019 ObesityWeek® conference to be eligible as a finalist. The 5 semi-finalist will have 10-minutes to present their proposal with 3 finalist chosen based on the presentations.
Three awardees will be selected at the Obesity and Cancer Section meeting at the 2019 ObesityWeek® conference. Each grantee will receive a $5,000 award to be used to conduct the research proposed in their LOI/presentation. The period of funding for the pilot program will be for one year. All three winners will be asked to provide a final written report. The grantee will also have to present the results of their pilot studies at the 2020 ObesityWeek® conference in Atlanta, GA during a session devoted to results from Susan G. Komen® Breast Cancer Challenge.
TOS's Obesity and Cancer Section meeting will be held on Wednesday November 5, 2019 from 10:15am-11:45am at the Mandalay Bay South Convention Center Mandalay Bay C.
7701 Las Colinas Blvd., Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063