|This message contains images. If you don't see images, click here to view.|
Advertise in this news brief.
Description: A flexible, non-majored online bachelor's degree serving the unique educational needs of military personnel allowing them to earn credit for their military experience and training.
Army close to making force structure decisions at U.S. bases
Federal News Radio
It seems unlikely that Congress will go along with DOD's latest request to close stateside military bases, but in the case of the Army, many of the bases lawmakers are protecting would become a lot more sparsely-populated if the Budget Control Act stays in full force.
Later this month, the Army will wrap up a listening tour it's been conducting at bases around the country as it prepares to draw up plans for how it would allocate its forces under full sequestration, which would push its already-planned drawdown from 570,000 to 450,000 soldiers to a yet-smaller force of 420,000.
Arizona House OKs bill waiving tuition for state's National Guard
The Associated Press via Arizona Daily Sun
The Arizona House wants to help Arizona's National Guard members go to college for free.
The Republican-controlled House unanimously passed the Democratic-sponsored legislation recently and it now moves to the Senate.
Mark Cardenas, D-Phoenix, said his bill would waive tuition fees for up to 16 credits per semester for Arizona National Guard members earning a bachelor's or master's degree at community colleges or state universities.
Connecticut National Guard soldiers being deployed
New Haven Register
A pair of newlyweds heading in different directions were among nearly 100 Connecticut National Guard soldiers now mobilizing for overseas deployments.
Approximately 35 soldiers of the Middletown, Connecticut-based 143rd RSG will provide command, control and administration to all base life support operations on a post in Afghanistan. The unit is commanded by Col. John Wiltse of Berlin.
| Looking for similar articles? Search here, keyword DEPLOYMENT.|
National Guard senior enlisted leader visiting Virgin Islands National Guard air unit on St. Croix
St. Croix Source
The Virgin Islands National Guard hosted the visit of a National Guard senior enlisted advisor on St. Croix during the training weekend of March 7-9. Command Chief Master Sergeant James W. Hotaling conducted a site visit to the 285th Civil Engineering Squadron of the Virgin Islands Air National Guard at Manning Hill adjacent to the Roebuck Industrial Park on St. Croix.
The Bradley Digital Food Smoker includes all the features of the Bradley Original Smoker, along with the benefits of digital technology. Temperature, time, and smoke are completely controllable. Perfect for entertaining, creating gourmet foods in your own backyard or just to enjoy that great smoky flavor. The Bradley Digital Smokers offer an easy way to automatically roast, smoke and barbecue in the outdoors.
Budget request includes moves to beef up Air Guard, Reserves
Air Force Times
Recommendations from a congressionally mandated commission on Air Force structure has already translated to requests for more tails on Air Force flight lines, and more changes can be expected over the next few years.
The National Commission on the Structure of the Air Force, created in the fiscal 2014 National Defense Authorization Act, called on the Air Force to make dozens of changes to its force structure mix, largely focused on increasing the role of the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve.
Army National Guard selects states to host cyber teams
The Army National Guard is taking a major step to bolster state and federal cybersecurity defenses by activating 10 new cyber protection teams across the country over the next three years. So far, the National Guard has announced which states will host three of the 10 cyber protection teams set to launch in fiscal 2016: Georgia and California will each host a team; Michigan, Indiana and Ohio will host the third CPT. The locations for the other seven teams have not been announced.
Top military minds list top threats facing the U.S.
U.S. News & World Report
Pop quiz, Pentagon chiefs: What are the top three threats out there facing the U.S.?
This was roughly the question the two highest U.S. defense officials received during their recent testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee. Newly appointed Defense Secretary Ash Carter, recently returned from a fact-finding tour of the Middle East, and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, who will likely retire this summer, offered their insights on the challenges facing the U.S. military at a time of unprecedented threats abroad.
Committee chairmen urge Republicans to reverse defense cuts
Sen. John McCain and Rep. Mac Thornberry, the respective chairmen of the Senate and House Armed Services committees, urged fellow Republicans to undo cuts to the defense budget in an op-ed March 10. Congressional Republicans now share in equal measure with President Obama the "highest constitutional responsibility" of providing for the nation's defense, they wrote in The Wall Street Journal.
- With this card, you can help EANGUS continue its mission to provide a voice on Capitol Hill on enlisted National Guard issues.
- USAA Bank will make a contribution to EANGUS when you open an account, make eligible purchases and keep an active account.
- Your support helps EANGUS address issues affecting active and retired National Guard, their families and employers.
In first testimony as DOD chief, Carter defends White House defense budget
Stars and Stripes
New Defense Secretary Ashton Carter fell into the familiar role of his predecessor Chuck Hagel during his first testimony to Congress.
Carter stuck to safe political ground, calling the White House’s proposed 2016 defense budget "responsible and prudent" while being questioned by the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Miss an issue of EANGUS Minuteman Update? Click here to visit the EANGUS Minuteman Update archive page.
Academy of Art University fosters innovation by preparing Service Members for a career in art and design. With gratitude and respect to the men and women who serve our nation your application fee will be waived at the Academy of Art University. MORE
Since 1991, Army Fisher Houses has been providing temporary lodging to our Warriors and their families during a medical crisis.
EANGUS Addresses Concerns about Bad Tasting U.S. Drinking Water
Does your tap water taste bad?
The reason may shock you, and fortunately there is a simple solution! Did you know, thousands of cities across the country get their tap water from sources that contain organisms that cause foul odors and tastes? Yeah, algae scum, microscopic organisms and even fish are common offenders making your water taste terrible! Gross.
Plus, did you know that chemicals and pollutants are also in the water you drink every day? And again, it may shock you just what kind of man-made substances are lurking in your tap water. For example:
The GOOD NEWS for EANGUS Members: There’s an easy way to get clean, clear and refreshing water anytime and from virtually any water source: the LiveWell Water Filtration Bottle.
- Chlorine, the same chemical used in swimming pools, is found in nearly every municipal water system. Chlorine makes your water taste and smell bad and actually creates cancer-causing chemicals in your water.
- Many major U.S. cities contain water pollutants and chemicals that are more than DOUBLE the national average! Your hometown may very well be one of them.
- Tests have shown over 300 contaminants in the tap water Americans drink, including pharmaceuticals, pesticides, and even common poisons. Yikes!
EANGUS has partnered directly with LiveWell Water to offer exclusive discounts to members. Your membership savings includes:
- Simply fill the LiveWell Water Filtration Bottle with tap water, and it will remove harmful impurities while you enjoy great tasting, purified odorless water anywhere.
- Not only does the LiveWell Filtration Bottle clean your water, it can also flavor it and even provide nutritional supplements as you drink! That means you not only hydrate yourself, you can also help support a stronger immune system, greater energy, and even promote weight loss all from a bottle of water!
- FREE LiveWell Water Filtration Bottle (A $9.95 Value)
- Free RUSH Shipping (A $6.95 Value)
- 25% OFF Your Entire Purchase, including extra filters and amazing supplement and flavor tablets
- That’s Over $30 In Total Savings on Delicious, Clean Drinking Water that can save you HUNDREDS of dollars in bottled water cost.
Get your exclusive member savings at: http://www.eangus.org/link.asp?ymlink=3227510
Dell March Exclusives!
- Military, veterans and dependents save EXTRA 10% off PCs and tablets with coupon!
- Inspiron 20 All-In-One: $274.39. Search Code: ECCWEP8106S, & Apply coupon JFWFQ8HBPFQDV$. Valid thru 3/29
- XPS 8700 $636.99. Search code: ECCWEP8106S & Apply coupon SK5HCPJ45SKDFV. Valid thru 3/29
- Your member benefits include access to thousands of electronics & accessories, (ie cameras, TVs & more!)
- Save big on Windows 7 systems — last chance! Mark your calendar: 3/12 - 3/19 7a.m. EST
News You Can Use from USAA
5 Money Moves to Power You Through 2015
Here are five personal finance moves that could propel you to a better place.
Be Young, Be Happy, but Be Smart
Take these easy steps to be financially fit in your 20s and 30s.
3 Feet From the Heat
According to UL, you should keep anything that can catch fire, from drapes and furniture to pets and people, at least three feet away from sources of heat.
Semper Paratus: Always Ready
The Coast Guard Reserve is marking 74 years of service this month.
The USAA Member Community serves as the place for members to seek/give advice and tips around items that are most important in their life.
Hot on USAA Social
Facebook: How many different ways can you quickly and safely log into the USAA mobile app? Find out: http://bit.ly/1E5Z3ZA
Facebook: Get your tax estimate in a flash. Snap a photo of your W-2 and view an estimate of your return. Learn more: http://bit.ly/1AgFs9X
Twitter: Moving can be stressful and financially straining, but it doesn't have to be! Learn more: http://bit.ly/17uSYvu
Modern Minuteman Drawing — Available for purchase
The drawing below is available for purchase and would be a nice gift to military members for retirement, promotions, etc.
Click Here to purchase.
7701 Las Colinas Ridge, Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063