All hands on deck at the USS Midway to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the SLAS International Conference and Exhibition! Buses leave the San Diego Convention Center C Entrance beginning at 6:15 p.m. and run continuously to/from the USS Midway Museum until the celebration ends at 9:30 p.m.
- Coffee is available at 7:45 a.m. in the Ballroom 6 Lobby
- Lunch is in the Exhibition from 12:30-1:30 p.m., sponsored by SelectScience.
- Meet poster presenters (even numbered posters) from 1:00-3:00 p.m. in the Exhibition
- Enjoy beer, wine, soft drinks and hors d’oeuvres at the Reception in the Exhibition from 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- SLAS2016 Tuesday Night Celebration at the USS Midway Museum from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Complimentary and continuous shuttle bus service is provided between the San Diego Convention Center C Entrance and the USS Midway Museum (a 1.6 mile journey as the crow flies)
- Good news! Michael Gottesman’s Monday keynote presentation was recorded and will be publicly available on demand on SLAS.org in the near future
- Coffee is available from 7:45-8:00 a.m. in the Ballroom 6 Lobby
- SLAS Special Interest Group meetings are from 8:00-9:15 a.m. and again from Noon-1:15 p.m.
- NEW THIS YEAR! Exhibition is open 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- The JALA & JBS Author Workshop: How to Get Your Work Published is from 8:00 to 9:15 a.m. in Room 14A
- SLAS New Product Awards are announced at 9:15 a.m. in the Exhibition
- Passport to Prizes winners announced in the SLAS Member Center at 11:45 a.m.
- Closing keynote speaker Adam Diedrich Steltzner speaks at 3:45 p.m. followed by the announcement of the $10,000 2016 SLAS Innovation Award winner
Anchors Away! SLAS2016 Celebration at the USS Midway
Tuesday, Jan. 26, 6:30-9:30 p.m.
Sponsored by Hamilton Company
All hands on deck to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the SLAS Annual International Conference and Exhibition! From stem to stern, the entire ship belongs exclusively to the SLAS community. Explore the retired ship’s 60+ exhibits, flight simulators, movies and more, while sampling the bountiful buffet, select wines, domestic beers and soft drinks. It’s a great way to spend time with old friends and make new professional contacts. Buses leave the San Diego Convention Center C Entrance beginning at 6:15 p.m. and run continuously throughout the 6:30-9:30 celebration.
Important SLAS Updates Announced
In yesterday’s opening session, SLAS leadership provided a brief recap of 2015 accomplishments and announced the following new initiatives/advances:
- First SLAS Graduate Education Fellowship Grant recipient named (April 2016)
- Roll out of a revamped SLAS membership model, including new SLAS Fellow category (summer 2016)
- Launch of first SLAS European Conference (Brussels, June 2018)
- New Board members introduced and outgoing members recognized
Free-Flowing Discussion at the 2016 SLAS Leadership Forum
Watch the SLAS Electronic Laboratory Neighborhood e-zine for a full report on the highlights of this discussion moderated by SLAS Past President Daniel G. Sipes of the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation. Panelists dug deep into the history, current work and future direction of genome-based therapeutics. This included addressing the changes, advances, technologies and challenges affecting the development of genome-based therapeutics and how improved collaborative strategies might be enhanced. Thank you to all participants and the panelists: Karen Gütekunst (Illumina), Jennifer Harris (Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation) and Matthew J. McGinniss (Molecular Genetics).
Today's SLAS Special Interest Group Meetings
Five SLAS Special Interest Groups gather today from 8:00-9:15 a.m.:
HCS/HCA Data and Informatics (Room 15A)
Sample Management (Room 14A)
Screen Design and Assay Technology (Room 15B)
Stem Cells and 3D Microtissues (Room 14B)
Technology Transfer and CRO/CMO Project Management (Room 17A)
Everyone is invited to join these SIG meetings!
Explore the Future at SLAS Innovation AveNEW
Be sure to visit Booth 1031, a dedicated area of the Exhibition where select start-up companies offer promising new technologies.
Presentation Recording Notice: Tuesday
Several select podium presentations are being recorded today for on-demand access following SLAS2016. Full Conference attendees and dues paying members will be sent a link when they become available.
Louis Cohen: High-Throughput Screening of Metagenomic DNA Libraries (3:30 p.m.)
Ed Rebar: Genome Engineering with Zinc Finger Nucleases (3:00 p.m.)
Congratulations to the 2016 SLAS Journal Achievement Award Honorees!
2016 Readers Choice Awards -- Reflecting popularity among readers throughout 2015.
2016 Authors Choice Awards -- Reflecting popularity among authors (citations) throughout 2015.
2016 Reviewer Excellence Awards -- Reflecting review quality, timeliness and volunteer service to JALA and JBS in 2015.
- Similarity Analysis of Spectra Obtained via Reflectance Spectrometry in Legal Medicine
By Liudmila Belenki, Vera Sterzik, Michael Bohnert
From JALA February 2014
- Identification of Small-Molecule Frequent Hitters from AlphaScreen High-Throughput Screens
By Kenji Schorpp, Ina Rothenaigner, Elena Salmina, Jeanette Reinshagen, Terence Low, Jara K. Brenke, Jay Gopalakrishnan, Igor V. Tetko, Sheraz Gul, Kamyar Hadian
From JBS June 2014
- Tan Boon Toh, National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- Pak Kin Wong, University of Arizona (USA)
- Maureen Beresini, Genentech (USA)
- Kentaro Hanada, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (USA)
- Adam Shapiro, Entasis Therapeutics (USA)
Congratulations SLAS2016 Student Poster Authors!
A panel of SLAS judges give highest honors (and $500 each!) to these three promising young professionals:
- Joohung Kang, Wyss Institute/Harvard University
Rapid enumeration and identification of rare food contaminant using a magnetic microfluidic device and FcMBL-conjugated magnetic particles
- Carrie Lovitt, Griffith University Australia
Automated evaluation of anti-cancer activity in advanced tumor models
- Matsurah Bte Mohd Abdul Rashid, National University of Singapore
Synergistic Combinations Against Bortezomib-Resistant Multiple Myeloma Derived via Phenotypic Personalized Medicine (PPM)
Today in the SLAS Scientific Journals Information Station
JBS Editor-in-Chief Robert Campbell
"Mass Spectrometry within Drug Discovery" with JBS Special Issue Guest Editor Jonathan Wingfield of AstraZeneca
"Assembly and Transformation of a Synthetic Yeast Artificial Chromosome with a Multigene Cassette that Enhances Xylose Utilization into Saccharomyces Cerevisiae" with JALA Author Steve Riedmuller of Hudson Control Group
Vote in the 2016 JALA & JBS Art of Science Contest from your laptop, mobile device or by visiting the SLAS Journals Information Station.
Meet SLAS Corporate Members
(SLAS2016 booth number in parenthesis)
Agilent Technologies (#1031)
Analytik Jena (#517)
BioTek Instruments, Inc. (#921)
Cisbio Bioassays (#516)
Douglas Scientific (#431)
Hettich Automation (#531)
HighRes Biosolutions (#1207)
INHECO GmbH (#1731)
At Festo booth # 1123, watch the BionicOpter, a remote controlled dragonfly, take flight in all directions, hover in mid-air and glide without beating its wings.”
Sias – a leading OEM supplier of laboratory automation solutions – has joined the Tecan Group, adding complementary new platforms, capabilities and expertise to customers of Tecan Partnering.
Sias Empowered with Tecan
AMSBIO has a wide range of assay kits, cell lines, antibodies and proteins for immunotherapy research. Come see our specialist to discuss the HTS options.
Providing high quality laboratory instruments along with
Integration and specialized method development.
Digilab CellJet – rapid, precise, reliable, flexible, reproducible & biocompatible 3D printing with 95% cell viability or greater. Up to 16 channels, “on-the-fly” or “drop-by-drop” printing.
Meet the collaborative robots from Universal Robots at SLAS booth #352 and find out how you easily and inexpensively automate repetitive tasks in your lab.
Join SGI-DNA 1/26 at a #SLAS2016 happy hour. Demo the world’s first DNA printer, network and learn about improving molecular biology workflows for drug discovery.
SGI-DNA, A Synthetic Genomics, Inc. Company
It was a beautiful morning for the SLAS2016 FUNd Run! Thank you sponsor Agilent Technologies.
Great science, great people. Be sure to visit the posters.
New job listings from the SLAS Member Center in SLAS2016 Exhibition
Senior R&D Manager, Mechanical Engineering
Field Applications Specialist
San Diego/Los Angeles, CA, USA
Associate Director, High-Throughput Screening
San Diego, CA, USA
Business Development Manager, Europe
FREE in public space and meeting rooms at Convention Center
(no wifi in Exhibition)