Welcome to SLAS2017! We're glad you’re here. Share this SLAS2017 Daily News with a colleague at home so they can keep up with the latest and greatest in life sciences discovery and technology. Plan your time now by visiting the searchable exhibitor list and interactive floor plan and/
or downloading the SLAS2017 App.
- Short Courses begin today; check the App, Pocket Guide or Event Scheduler for locations.
- Exhibitors: SLAS New Product applications are accepted until 1:00 p.m. today. Click here to submit.
- Coffee at 8:00 a.m. in the Marriott Marquis Salon 1-6 Lobby on meeting level 2.
- Opening Remarks and Keynote Presentation at 8:30 a.m. in the Marriott Marquis Salon 1-6.
- Exhibition opens at 10:00 a.m. and closes at 6:00 p.m.
- Scientific sessions begin at 10:30 a.m. See App and Event Scheduler for details.
- Reception in the Exhibition celebrating the 2017 SLAS Journal Achievement Award honorees begins at 5:00 p.m.
- Students and Early Career Professionals: Meet in the SLAS Member Center (Exhibition) at 5:00 p.m. before heading over to Lucky Strike.
- Late Night with LRIG Rapid-Fire Innovation Session begins at 6:00 p.m. in Convention Center Room 140AB.
Make Life Easier with the SLAS2017 Conference App
Chart your course, connect and stay up to date with this free app for iOS, Android and Kindle devices (search SLAS2017):
- Plan your itinerary from the latest schedule of events
- Review scientific session abstracts and speaker details
- Receive important news alerts
- Connect with exhibitors
- Take notes for future reference
- Explore the Exhibition map to plan your routes and priorities
- Sort exhibitors by categories
- Visit the e-poster gallery
- Link to SLAS social media sites
- Access this SLAS2017 Daily News
- Connect with other App users
Meet Our Keynote Speakers
Jennifer Lippincott-Schwartz, Ph.D.|
Emerging Fluorescence Technology to Study the Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of Organelles within Cells
Monday, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Marriott Marquis Salon 1-6
From the Center of the Earth to the Stars: The Unknown History of Women in Science
Wednesday, 3:45-4:45 p.m.
Marriott Marquis Salon 1-6
2017 SLAS Innovation Award Finalists
These SLAS2017 podium presenters are contenders for the prestigious 2017 SLAS Innovation Award. The winner of the $10,000 cash prize is announced during the closing session on Wednesday.
Optimizing Clinical Combination Therapy Using a Phenotypic Personalized Medicine Technology Platform (Dean Ho, University of California – Los Angeles): Monday, 3:00 p.m., Room 146B
Spheroid Microarrays to Rapidly Screen Spheroid Morphology and Protein Expression for Regenerative Medicine, Toxicology and Cancer Research (Delyan P. Ivanov, University of Nottingham): Tuesday, 12:00 p.m., Room 147AB
Inkjet Printing Technology for Facilitated At Will Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (FAST) in Under 5 Hours: Addressing the Needs of a So-Called 'Post-Antibiotic Era' (James E. Kirby, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School): Monday, 4:00 p.m., Room 146C
A High-Throughput Technology for the Isolation of Single Cells Using a Nanoliter Dispenser (Michael Klinger, Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation): Tuesday, 11:00 a.m., Room 146B
Dynamic Profiling of Anti-Tumor Immune Response at the Single-Cell Resolution by Microfluidic Cell Pairing (Tania Konry, Northeastern University): Tuesday, 3:30 p.m., Room 146B
Automated 3D Cell Culture Platform for Investigating Chemoresistance and Efficacy of Antibody-based Therapeutics (Christopher Millan, CellSpringAG): Tuesday, 11:30 a.m., Room 145AB
Vortex Biosciences Technology for Fast and Label-Free Isolation of Circulating Tumor Cells from Blood Samples (Elodie Sollier-Christen, Vortex Biosciences, Inc.): Monday, 4:30 p.m., Room 146B
Transcriptional Profiling of Single Cells Using Droplet Microfluidics (Tobias Wheeler, 10X Genomics): Monday, 3:30 p.m., Room 146B
Rapid Multi-Material Extrusion Bioprinting (Yu Shrike Zhang, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School): Wednesday, 10:00 a.m., Room 146B
Explore the Floor: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
Dozens of new products launch at the SLAS Exhibition. Find out what's new and what it can do for you. Plus…
Posters are on display all day Monday and Tuesday to allow plenty of time for review. Talk with presenters at their posters from 1:00-3:00 p.m. on Monday (odd-numbered posters) and Tuesday (even-numbered posters). NEW this year: posters are displayed in clusters throughout the Exhibition, color coded by track and assigned unique numbers. The Poster Information Desk is staffed Monday and Tuesday during Exhibition hours to assist you in locating posters of interest. Or better yet, use the App to quickly and easily find the posters and presenters you want to see.
Meet eight promising new start-up companies on
SLAS Innovation AveNEW.
Interest in life sciences discovery and technology starts early, and FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) helps many find their way. SLAS welcomes Washington, DC’s award-winning FIRST Team Illusion to SLAS2017. See today’s kids in action in the Exhibition near the SLAS Member Center on Monday and Tuesday.
Career Connections: Explore these practical programs for job seekers by visiting the SLAS Member Center:
The SLAS Member Center located in the center of the 100 aisle of the Exhibition is where you can:
- Mentoring and career advice with experienced industry professionals. Complete this short form to schedule your time.
- Browse interactive job listings and submit your resume online.
- Attend career workshops – all with time for Q&A. Attendance is on a first-come, first served basis. All rooms are in the Convention Center.
- Mentoring 101 for Scientists Part 1 (Joanne Kamens)
Monday, 1:00 p.m., Room 140AB
- Mentoring 101 for Scientists Part 2 (Joanne Kamens)
Tuesday, 1:00 p.m., Room 140AB
- Grants Process and Funding Opportunities from the National Institutes of Health (Daniel Gossett)
Tuesday, 7:30 a.m., Room 140AB
- SLAS Author Workshop: How to Prepare a Manuscript for Publication (SLAS journal editors-in-chief Robert M. Campbell and Edward Kai-Hua Chow)
Wednesday, 8:00 a.m., Room 159AB
The SLAS Scientific Journals Information Station: SLAS publishes two rigorously peer-reviewed, MEDLINE-indexed journals, now with new names – SLAS Discovery (Advancing Life Sciences R&D) and SLAS Technology (Translating Life Sciences Innovation). Learn post-publication marketing strategies to increase readership and citations of your work. Say hello, ask questions and get to know the editors-in-chief.
- Pick up your free SLAS2017 T-shirt (full conference registrants only; limited supply and sizes available)
- Visit the SLAS Global Village to meet international participants
- Become a member of SLAS
- Sign up for career counseling sessions and workshops
- Explore job listings
- Collect your SLAS FUNd Run T-shirt (if purchased during registration)
- Watch podcast recordings by The Lab Man
- Have fun in the SLAS Selfie Station – tweet your selfie and win!
- Meet SLAS volunteer leaders and professional team members
SLAS Author Services Info Sessions
1:00 p.m. Meet SLAS Technology Editor-in-Chief Edward Kai-Hua Chow
1:30 p.m. Using Kudos to Get More People to Read and Cite Your Research
2:00 p.m. Accelerate Life Sciences Research with Atypon Literatum
1:00 p.m. Meet SLAS Discovery Editor-in-Chief Robert M. Campbell
1:30 p.m. Distinguish Yourself in the Literature with ORCID
2:00 p.m. Social Media Strategies for Journal Authors
2018 SLAS Europe Conference: Transforming Research
A new event developed specifically for the European life sciences discovery and technology community – 2018 SLAS Europe Conference: Transforming Research, is set for June 27-29, 2018, in Brussels, Belgium. This event is in addition to the annual SLAS International Conference and Exhibition which takes place in U.S. early in the calendar year. Scientific tracks at SLAS Europe 2018 include:
Conference Co-Chairs Annika Jenmalm Jensen (Karolinska Institute, Sweden), Emilio Diez-Monedero (Pharma Industry Consultant, Spain) and Ian Shuttler (Tecan, Switzerland) invite you to watch for details at SLAS.org.
- Emerging Investigative Biology – highlighting approaches, processes and platforms
- Technology – a focus on the scientific basis and the development of new and innovative technologies
- Discovery – a look at the application of new and innovative technologies for the advancement of life sciences
Show Your Badge for Discounts Around Town
Enjoy discounts to many of Washington, DC's restaurants, attractions and performing arts by simply by showing your SLAS2017 badge. Visit the Destination DC website to explore Show Your Badge options.
Festo features at SLAS 2017, February 4-8 in Washington D.C., a show within a show spotlighting high speed screening machines from five manufacturers – Biomated Solutions, LGC, Perkin Elmer, PhyNexus, and Rheonix – each of which accelerated machine development through partnership with Festo. (Festo SLAS Booth #313)
The Festo booth also features the AquaJellies – bionic, autonomous jellyfish – in a 500 gallon/1,900 liter tank.
Icagen is a deeply experienced, integrated discovery group with expertise and technologies in chemistry, biology and in silico discovery, capable of solving myriad challenges and generating leads.
SLAS booth #1626
Providing high quality laboratory instruments along with
Integration and specialized method development. Come visit us at booth #1205.
Use the SLAS2017 App to get around, connect and stay up to date.
Welcome to the SLAS community!
FREE in and around SLAS2017 Convention Center Meeting Rooms and in the SLAS Member Center. WiFi is not available in the Exhibition.