february / eight
- SLAS2015 exhibitors: SLAS New Product Award Designation applications are due at 1:00 p.m. today to the SLAS2015 Exhibit Sales Office at the rear of the hall.
- The Exhibition opens at 4:30 p.m. SLAS invites you to enjoy beer, wine, soft drinks and hors d’oeuvres at the Welcome Reception from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.
- Meet JALA Editor-in-Chief Edward Chow and JBS Editor-in-Chief Bob Campbell in the SLAS Scientific Journals Information Station in the SLAS Member Center from 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- The Student and Early Career Professionals Mixer is in the Member Center from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Following the Exhibition close, students and early career pros move to nearby Lucky Strike from 7:30-9:30 p.m. for a FREE evening of bowling, appetizers and non-alcoholic drinks (cash bar available).
- Traveling internationally? Meet up with colleagues in the SLAS Global Village near the SLAS Member Center.
- After the Exhibition closes, continue conversations at the SLAS2015 corner bars! Baby Wale, 1124 9th St. NW, is offering 10% off food and beverage if you show your SLAS2015 badge (closed Sunday). City Tap House, 901 9th Street, is discounting beverages 10% to SLAS2015 badge holders.
- Welcome to those attending the first-ever SLAS Leadership Forum!
- Please tweet about your #SLAS2015 experiences!
Keynote Speaker Lineup
Sponsored by Thermo Scientific
||Donald E. Ingber, M.D., Ph.D.|
Human Organs-on-Chips as Replacements for Animal Testing
Monday, February 9, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
||Francis Collins, M.D., Ph.D.|
Exceptional Technologies and the Transformation of Biomedicine
Wednesday, February 11, 12:15-1:15 p.m.
|Please note the time change|
Betrayal of Trust: Critical Issues in Global Healthcare
Wednesday, February 11, 3:45-4:45 p.m.
Note: Garrett book signing follows from 5:00-5:30 p.m.
Books can be purchased; cash only.
New in the SLAS2015 Exhibition...
The SLAS Annual Conference and Exhibition is known as THE place for new product launches. A panel of SLAS judges reviews this year’s new products and selects as many as three distinguished SLAS2015 exhibitors to honor with SLAS New Product Award Designations on Tuesday afternoon. Applications are due by 1:00 p.m. Sunday to the SLAS2015 Exhibit Sales Office at the rear of the hall. Contact Mary Geismann if you have questions.
Some 325 poster presentations will be on display Monday and Tuesday to allow SLAS2015 participants time to explore the breadth and depth of the scientific achievements they represent. Interact directly with presenters who will be by their posters from 1:00-3:00 p.m. on Monday (even-numbered posters) and Tuesday (odd-numbered posters). NEW this year – poster numbers identify educational track. See the key.
SLAS2015 also welcomes seven new faces to Innovation AveNEW. These entrepreneurial start-up companies competed to earn exhibit space in this special part of the Exhibit Hall and one-on-one business consulting opportunities with three successful life science entrepreneurs – Scott Atkin, Kevin Hrusovsky and Rob Nail.
Career Services Expanded for SLAS2015!
Always a popular attraction for SLAS participants, SLAS2015 Career Connections includes more mentoring, more workshops and more networking! Explore these career-enhancing programs Monday and Tuesday:
Attendance at these workshops is on a first-come, first served basis. Stop by the SLAS Member Center in the Exhibition today for more information.
- Mentoring and career advice with life sciences professionals
- One-on-one career coaching in private with Dan Eustace, Ph.D., University of Connecticut and “office hours” with Joanne Kamens, Addgene. Contact Mary Geismann to sign up!
- Attend one or more of FOUR specialized career workshops:
- Not Networking 101—Building Relationships for Success
Monday, February 9, 7:00-8:00 a.m. in Room 144C (breakfast is served)
- Smooth Transitions—Top 10 List: Things Scientists Ask About Finding an Industry Job
Monday, February 9, 12:30-1:30 p.m. in Room 152B (box lunch available)
- Mock Interviews: Preparation and Practice for Getting the Jobs You Want
Tuesday, February 10, 7:00-8:15 a.m. in Room 144C (breakfast is served)
- How to Choose Your Next Lab
Tuesday, February 10, 12:30-1:30 p.m. In Room 152B (box lunch available)
NEW! The SLAS Scientific Journals Information Station
2015 marks the 20th year of publication for SLAS’s two rigorously peer-reviewed MEDLINE-indexed scientific journals – the Journal of Biomolecular Screening (JBS) and the Journal of Laboratory Automation (JALA). In partnership with SAGE Publications, the SLAS Scientific Journals Information Station in the SLAS Member Center offers you the opportunity to:
Learn from and talk with members of the publishing team:
Meet and greet JALA and JBS published authors:
- JALA Editor-in-Chief Ed Chow (Today, 5:00-6:00 p.m.)
- JBS Editor-in-Chief Bob Campbell (Today, 5:00-6:00 p.m.)
- Clinical Chemistry Trainee Council Managing Editor Sheehan Misko (Monday, 2:30-4:30 p.m.)
- ORCID Executive Director Laure Haak (Tuesday, 2:30-4:30 p.m.)
Help send your favorite 2015 JALA & JBS Art of Science Contest finalist to SLAS2016!
- Dino Di Carlo (Monday, 1:00)
- Sara Thrall (Monday, 2:00)
- Joseph McGivern (Tuesday, 1:00)
- Xianting Ding (Tuesday, 2:00)
- Cast your vote for one of 10 finalists. The top vote getter wins a full conference registration to SLAS2016, San Diego, CA and a $500 Amazon gift card.
SLAS Member Center the Hub for All Things SLAS!
Need a spot to take a break and take in everything SLAS has to offer? Head to the SLAS Member Center in the Exhibition this afternoon and:
- Visit the SLAS Global Village to meet international participants
- Gather at the Student and Early Career Mixer from 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Not yet an SLAS member? Join this growing global SLAS community
- Learn more about JALA and JBS in the SLAS Scientific Journals Information Station
- Sign up for career counseling sessions and workshops
- Explore job listings
- Vote in the JALA & JBS Art of Science Contest
- Celebrate JALA and JBS’s 20th year of publication with a free T-shirt (full conference registrants only; limited supply available)
- Meet SLAS volunteer leaders and professional team members
2015 SLAS Innovation Award Finalists
The 2015 SLAS Innovation Awards Committee carefully reviewed and considered applications by SLAS2015 podium presenters and selected 10 as contenders for the 2015 SLAS Innovation Award to be announced during the closing session on Wednesday. From this impressive collection, one presenter will win the $10,000 cash prize. Finalists, in presentation order, include:
- Digital Microfluidic Immunocytochemistry in Single Cells (DISC) (Aaron Wheeler): Monday, 10:30 a.m., Room 151A
- Droplet-Based Three Dimensional Cell Migration Assay with Flow Cytometry Based Automated Analysis (Marie-Elena Brett): Monday, 11:30 a.m., Room 151A
- Bioinspired Spleen-on-a-chip for Sepsis Therapy (Joo Hun Kang): Monday, 4:30 p.m., Room 151A
- The Simoa HD-1 Analyzer: A Fully-Automated, Multiplexed Immunoanalyzer with Single Molecule Sensitivity (David C. Duffy): Tuesday, 10:30 a.m., Room 152A
- Zero Background in Homogeneous Proximity Assays Using Thermofluorimetric Analysis (TFA) for Quantitation of Attomole Protein Levels in Serum (Joonyul Kim): Tuesday, 11:00 a.m., Room 152A
- An Automated Open Platform for Exclusion-based Sample Preparation: Getting More Information from Limited Patient Samples (David J. Guckenberger): Tuesday, 11:30 a.m., Room 152A
- Novel Acoustic Loading of a Mass Spectrometer – Towards Next Generation High Throughput MS Screening (Jonathan Wingfield): Tuesday, 12:00 p.m., Room 152B
- Droplet Microfluidics for High Throughput Analysis and Sensing (Robert Kennedy): Tuesday, 3:00 p.m., Room 151A
- Annotating Biological Activities of Compounds by High-content Pathway Profiling Assays (Sergei S. Makarov): Tuesday, 3:30 p.m., Room 152B
- Automation of Droplet Manipulation Using Electrowetting on Film (Thomas D. Perroud): Wednesday, 10:15 a.m., Room 151A
Stay Organized with the SLAS2015 Conference App
Sponsored by Promega Corporation
The new and improved SLAS2015 mobile app can help you get around, connect and stay up to date. It is available free for both iOS and Android devices, so you can:
- Plan your itinerary and view the complete SLAS2015 schedule of events
- Review scientific session abstracts and speaker details
- Connect with SLAS2015 exhibitors within the app
- Take notes and access them later
- View a virtual Exhibit Hall map and highlight companies you plan to visit
- Scan the exhibitor listings and sort by category
- Visit the Poster Gallery
- Link to SLAS social media sites
- Access this SLAS2015 Daily News
- View important alerts and notifications regarding SLAS2015
- Connect with other SLAS2015 app users
- Share photos on Twitter and Facebook
For Runners and Early Morning Sightseers
Get an early start to your day tomorrow, Monday, by participating in the Promega/Gilson Sunrise Run. Join fellow runners (or walkers) for a 4.2mi/6.8km route that passes by the US Capitol, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial and the White House as the sun comes up over the city. The Promega/Gilson Sunrise Run departs from the Marriott Marquis lobby at 6:30 a.m. Note: The Sunrise Run is an optional event and is not an official SLAS2015 function.
The SLAS2015 "Corner Bars"
When the conference and exhibition activities are over for the day, the networking is not! SLAS has negotiated discounts with two popular establishments within close proximity to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and official SLAS2015 hotels. Badged SLAS2015 participants will receive discounts on food and/or drinks and ample space to continue making connections Feb. 7-11!
Baby Wale, 1124 9th St. NW, is offering 10% off food and beverage (closed Sunday)
City Tap House, 901 9th Street, is discounting beverages 10%
Meet the People of SLAS2015
At Festo booth # 1123, watch the BionicOpter, a remote controlled dragonfly, take flight in all directions, hover in mid-air and glide without beating its wings.”
Keen to offer your PCR kits or reagents with a comprehensive automated liquid handling solution within your market?
Get acquainted with the “PCR Setup Solution” at booth #328.
AMSBIO magnetic bead specialists are available to discuss all applications where magnetic beads may help you improve efficiency, reduce costs, or develop innovative solutions.
Sparton is a provider of complex electromechanical devices with experience in design and manufacturing of automated medical products.
Automated PCR where YOU want it: Fully integrated
ON your liquid handling workstation, not somewhere else!
Plug and play SiLA interface, top thermal performance
Solids Dispensing, Label, Scan, Weigh, Dilute Ratiometrically,
Vortex/Sonicate, Aspirate, Screw/Septum Cap, Plate, Incubate, Inject,
Affordable & Tailored Automation for the Majority!
Sirius Automation Inc.
Use the SLAS2015 conference app to help you get around, connect and stay up to date.
Explore SLAS2015 Exhibit Hall set up with SLAS Exhibits Manager Barry Sacks.
Come Transform Research
|meet our members
Amy Herr of the University of California at Berkeley
Neal Cosby of Promega Corporation
FREE in public space and meeting rooms at Convention Center
(no wifi in Exhibition)
Network Name/ID: SLAS2015